By Kirk Hazen
An creation to Language bargains an interesting advisor to the character of language, concentrating on how language works – its sounds, phrases, buildings, and words – all investigated via wide-ranging examples from previous English to modern pop culture.
- Explores the belief of a systematic method of language, inviting scholars to contemplate what traits of language include daily abilities for us, be they sounds, phrases, words, or conversation
- Helps form our figuring out of what language is, the way it works, and why it truly is either elegantly complicated and necessary to who we are
- Includes workouts inside every one bankruptcy to aid readers discover key suggestions and without delay detect the styles which are a part of all human language
- Examines linguistic version and alter to demonstrate social nuances and language-in-use, drawing totally on examples from English
- Avoids linguistic jargon, focusing as a substitute on a broader and extra common method of the research of language, and making it perfect for these coming to the topic for the 1st time
- Supported through extra net assets – to be had upon ebook at www.wiley.com/go/hazen/introlanguage – together with scholar research aids and testbank and notes for instructors
Read Online or Download An Introduction to Language (Linguistics in the World) PDF
Best linguistics books
The amount specializes in the concept that of embodiment, understood in so much basic phrases as "the physically foundation of phenomena similar to which means, brain, cognition and language". the amount bargains a consultant, multi- and interdisciplinary state of the art selection of papers on embodiment and brings jointly a wide number of diversified views, from cognitive linguistics, cognitive technology, philosophy, psychology, semiotics and synthetic intelligence.
This publication considers the position of cross-dialectal information in our figuring out of linguistic variability, concentrating on the generally mentioned dichotomy among prior stressful kinds and depending totally on spoken language information from various forms of Spanish.
This module on concentrating on shape in language guideline presents beginner and skilled teachers with pedagogical suggestions to aid moment language novices collect formal components of an L2. Taking the location that the advance of a linguistic illustration calls for enter, the pedagogical interventions offered during this module – textual enhancement, dependent enter, and dictogloss – all paintings with meaning-bearing enter not directly.
During this quantity, authors from 4 disciplines subscribe to forces to advance an research of political discourse on a comparative and multidisciplinary foundation. Language coverage is usually in accordance with the political use of background, the place the remembrance of earlier reports via groups, participants and historic our bodies play a basic function.
- The Slavic Languages (Cambridge Language Surveys)
- Intonational Phonology (Cambridge Studies in Linguistics)
- Quotation in Indigenised and Learner English: A Sociolinguistic Account of Variation (Language and Social Life)
- A History of American English (Longman Linguistics Library)
- The Push towards Communicative Language Teaching and its Impact on the Korean Classroom
Extra resources for An Introduction to Language (Linguistics in the World)
An Introduction to Language (Linguistics in the World) by Kirk Hazen